For the full press release with balance sheets and statements please click here
AUSTIN, Texas — August 8, 2019 — Vermillion, Inc. (Nasdaq: VRML), a bio-analytical based women’s health company focused on gynecologic disease, today reported its financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2019.
“We are very pleased by the continued positive momentum for OVA1Plus. The growth in product volume and revenue are a reflection of their efficacy compared to the current standard of care in ovarian cancer risk management,” stated Valerie Palmieri, President and CEO of Vermillion. “We continue to focus on maximizing commercialization efforts and payer penetration to become the one and only choice for pelvic mass risk management.”
Recent Corporate Highlights
Year over Year Results – Second Quarter 2019 versus Second Quarter 2018:
- Product volume increased 66% to 3,129 units up from 1,884 in the second quarter of last year
- Product revenue increased 75% to $1,099,509 up from $626,549 in the second quarter of last year
- Total number of customers increased by 50% compared to the second quarter of last year
- New customers increased 82% compared to the second quarter of last year
Year over Year Results – First Half 2019 versus First Half 2018
- Product volume increased 47% to 5,442 units up from 3,702 units in the first six months of 2018
- Product revenue increased 52% to $1,878,765 up from $1,239,851 in the first six months of 2018
- Total number of customers increased 38% compared to the first six months of 2018
- New customers increased 53% compared to the first six months of 2018
New Health Plan Contracts
Expanded preferred coverage of OVA1 ovarian cancer risk assessment test with the addition of two new health plan in network contract agreements. BlueCross BlueShield of Texas and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona will now provide in network coverage to nearly 6 million additional lives.
Clinical Study Publications
June 2019– Announced the acceptance and recent publication of the first of several studies demonstrating that OVA1 (Multivariate Index Assay, MIA) improves ovarian cancer detection in African American women.
Biomarkers in Cancer Publication – A study of 1029 patients; 853 Caucasian with 250 malignancies, and 153 African American with 24 malignancies. The study demonstrated that OVA1 demonstrated a sensitivity of 79.1%, compared to 54.5% with HE4 + CA125 (ROMA). Demonstrating a 45% improvement in sensitivity.
July 2019– Advances in Therapy Publication – A study of 993 patients, comparing Overa™, Vermillion’s 2nd Generation multivariate index assay, vs ROMA vs CA125. Overa™ had the highest performance in early stage ovarian cancer risk detection with 90.5 % sensitivity compared to ROMA at 76.2% sensitivity and CA125 at 63.1% sensitivity, based on ACOG guidance cutoff of 200 U/ml.
July 2019- Journal of Surgical Oncology- Accepted for publication. A study of 878 patients comparing current standard of care imaging tools (ultrasound and CT scan) compared to Overa™ and its ability to vastly improve the ovarian cancer risk assessment care pathway, when used in clinical workup for adnexal masses.
July 2019– Abstract acceptance of our poster, Ovarian Malignancy Risk Stratification Using a Third-Generation Multivariate Index Assay, at the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology to be presented in November 2019.
- Product revenue was $1.1 million for the second quarter 2019, an increase of 75% compared to $627 thousand for the same period in 2018. The increase is due to an increase in the number of our tests performed as well as improvement in price per unit. We expect revenue to increase over the remainder of the year as the onboarding and initial training of our sales team is completed. Service revenue was $42 thousand for the second quarter 2019 compared to $81 thousand for the same period in 2018.
- The number of OVA1 tests performed increased 66% to 3,129 during the second quarter 2019 compared to 1,884 for the same period in 2018. We expect the test volume to improve over the remainder of the year as we continue to realize returns from our sales and marketing investments.
- Revenue on a per test performed basis was $352 in the second quarter of 2019 compared to $337 in the first quarter of 2019 and $333 in Q2 of 2018.
- Gross profit on product revenue was $402 thousand for the second quarter 2019 compared to $99 thousand for the same period in 2018, a four-fold increase to a gross profit percentage of 36.5%. We anticipate the gross profit percent will increase as volumes continue to increase.
- Research and development expenses for the second quarter 2019 increased by $71 thousand or 46%, compared to the same period in 2018. This increase was primarily due to purchases required for a study in 2019, as well as an increase in consulting expenses.
- Sales and marketing expenses for the second quarter 2019 increased $1.3 million, or 88%, compared to the same period in 2018. This increase was primarily due to increased headcount and personnel-related expenses compared to those in the same period in 2018.
- General and administrative expenses for the second quarter 2019 increased by $235,000, or 18%, compared to the same period in 2018. This increase was primarily due to an increase in headcount and personnel-related expenses in the second quarter of 2019 compared to those in the second quarter of 2018.
- The cash balance at June 30, 2019 was $16.2 million which reflects proceeds fromthe common stock offering during the second quarter. On July 2, 2019, the Underwriter exercised its option to purchase 2,812,500 shares of Vermillion common stock at a price of $0.80 per share and resulted in proceeds to the Company of $2.1 million.
Conference Call and Webcast
Vermillion’s President and CEO, Valerie Palmieri, will host a call today at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time to discuss results followed by a question and answer period.
Thursday, August 8th @ 4:30pm Eastern Time
855-327-6837 – Domestic Investors
631-891-4304 – International Investors Dial
10007441 – Conference ID
Visit our website for more information about our products at www.vermillion.com.